Friday, October 2, 2015

Je Suis Voluntaire!

Greetings, one and all, from an official Peace Corps Volunteer! I’ve said my oath, I’ve signed the paperwork, I’ve been to the afterparties, and can now say, without any asterisks, that I’m a PCV.
Tuesday the 25th was our last day at our training center in Zafi. We had our final “Readiness to Serve” interviews, to make sure we were committed to the tenets and qualified for the rigors of service. Following the interviews (and our cheers as we bid farewell to the training center for the last time), the 45 of us piled in the vans to go to the neighboring town of Ahepe for the farewell fete with our host families.

My Kouve family can be a little – hmm – enthusiastic when it comes to Americans, fetes, or fetes with Americans. The weekend before, they encouraged me to invite some friends over for lunch and what they were calling a “journee Americaine” – an American day. I was told we would eat real African food for lunch, but would listen to American music. I thought that sounded great, and a few friends came by around noon. We should have something was up when our lunch was two hours late and my host dad was setting up a microphone system in our little compound (where do you even find a microphone in Togo?), but before we even had time to be worried, my family was parading the nearest three dozen children in front of us, urging them to sing the Togolese national anthem and any church song they could think of into the mic. We clapped uncomfortably as we dug into the peanut sauce that was finally ready, but we were barely halfway finished eating before my uncle let us know that it was now our turn to share an American dance, so stand up! We tried to explain to them that we weren’t going to do that, we didn’t know any American dances, they really just aren’t any American dances, but the excited eyes of the whole neighborhood were not going to let us off the hook. My friend Zoe gamely came to the rescue, demonstrating something that was basically a dance (there was a little bit of twirling, anyway) to the tune of “Build Me Up, Buttercup” that she had performed in the fourth grade. My family was momentarily wowed, and before they could recover to demand an encore, my friends used a distant grey cloud as an excuse to run home as fast as possible, “avant le plu.”

Anyway, with that afternoon still fresh in my mind, I was a little nervous about the big farewell party. As much as I love my family, and know that they are just crazy about cross-cultural exchange, I was not excited to do a lot of performing. Fortunately, it turned out to be all fun and no pressure – a great sendoff.

All of the Kouve families got together and selected a pattern of pagne (the brightly colored and wildly patterend fabric that West Africans wear). They bought out all local stock, and commissioned shirts and dresses for all 16 volunteers and their hosts, so walking into the fete, Kouve was a sea of white and blue geese.


Me and the Kouve Fam


 We took twenty minutes or so to hug and take photos all together, and then sat down to a potluck dinner. There were speeches of appreciation from Peace Corps staff and host families, and two volunteers got up to give speeches of “merci” and “akbelo.” The crowd, as usual, went nuts for the American speaking in Ewe, the local language. A dance troupe came in and performed, and invited everyone to come join them. This eventually devolved into just general dancing, and before we knew it, it was time to pile into the vans again and leave.

This was also my first real taste of traveling with Togolese. I’d been told that travel was a frantic and crowded affair in this country, but was not expecting it to be so in this venue – in vans run by the Peace Corps, traveling a scant 4 miles.  As soon as it was announced that the vans were ready to depart, everyone in the room booked it for the door. I was in the middle of saying goodnight to my American friends when my host family pulled me into the stampede with them. “Let’s go!” they said, “The vans are going to leave!” seeming to imply the possibility that we might get stranded in Ahepe forever.

We were among the first out the door, and immediately, the whole throng poured into the first available van. Surprised, and not wanting to be trampled, I stood off to the side. The vans have room for 14 passengers (which in Togo means 20), but within ten seconds, there were two dozen people crammed in. My host uncle, who was sitting in the back corner of the van, was shrieking my name and frantically reaching across his neighbors laps, hoping to (I guess?) grab me and pull me in, as though they were in the last lifeboat leaving the Titanic.

The driver let me know there was no one yet in the front, so I hopped in. Zoe managed to grab the other front seat, and we were able to pass the 20 minute journey pretty comfortably, especially compared to our 6’4” friend Nate who sat behind us, sandwiched in a row with five Togolese passengers.

The next morning, we said goodbye to our families and hit the road to return to Lome. We unloaded at our beloved Amy’s hotel which, though ominously one-star when we first arrived in Togo, was now some kind of Shangri-La, with its running water and its weird mini pizzas.

The next two days were a bit of a blur – last minute security sessions and paperwork, setting up bank accounts, buying mattresses, and visiting the legendary “yovo stores:” big super-marches with Nutella and real plastic brooms. The nights, too, were a blur, cramming in as much time with good friends before heading off to new homes, hours apart from each other.

Friday morning rolled around – swear-in day! Each of the three sectors selected a pagne pattern to wear for the day, so we left Amy’s for the US Embassy looking fresh and sufficiently matchy.
(No phones or cameras were allowed in the embassy, so please accept this low-quality selfie to get a sense of how beautiful we all looked.)

On y va, Faire la Selfie


Check out these articles on the swear-in ceremony! Warning: have a francophone or Google translate handy.


The rest of the day was spent celebrating, and the following morning, bright and early, we packed ourselves into assigned vans and hit the road for our permanent sites.

On The Road


The Village of Baga

No comments:

Post a Comment